I seriously hate chicken nuggets, but I absolutely love these. These are fast, easy, delicious, healthy, and forgiving. The five best qualities of any recipe. Also, did I mention you could prepare the time consuming parts ahead? Win.
You can serve these chicken nuggets with literally any sides and any sauces. I happened to have multi-colored carrots and black beans on hand. So I baked the carrots and drizzled with a balsamic glaze, and I heated up the black beans with onion, garlic, & cumin. Then I served with honey mustard & BBQ sauce.
My multi-colored carrot beauties:
I actually used these in a centerpiece on my table the day before.
A centerpiece with a dual purpose? Cool. (If you try this at home, just note that the rhubarb will wilt fast. So don’t buy it until the day of, and don’t put it out until the guests are arriving. It needs to stay moist and unexposed. I learned this the hard way and made a mad dash to the grocery store an hour before guests arrived because my centerpiece had wilted.)
Back to the chicken nuggets. Panko bread crumbs are extremely versatile, easy to make crispy, & like I said, very forgiving. So give these a try.
PS. To prepare the ingredients ahead, put each of the flour mixture/egg mixture/panko crumbs in pyrex bowls, cover and refrigerate the egg mixture. Prepare the chicken ahead of time and place in a ziploc bag. Either refrigerate or freeze, depending on your timeframe. The day of, just pull everything out the counter top and go for it!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened and cut into chicken nugget size pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 eggs beaten with 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Flatten the chicken breasts to make them thin and uniform in shape. If you don't have a mallet, simply put them in a sturdy freezer ziploc bag, & strike them with a pan. Seriously, it works.
- Cut the chicken breasts into chicken tender size pieces.
- Combine the flour, onion powder, & garlic powder in a bowl.
- Make the egg & water mixture in another bowl.
- Pour the panko crumbs in a third bowl.
- Line the bowls up in a row: flour mixture, egg mixture, panko crumbs.
- Dredge each chicken piece with seasoned flour and pass it through the egg mixture.
- Place in the panko bowl and completely cover with with crumbs. Use your hand to toss the piece in the crumbs, and very gently press the crumbs down so it is fully, thoroughly coated.
- Fill a large frying pan with olive oil. Make sure the bottom is covered in full, with a little excess.
- Heat the frying pan on medium-high heat.
- After a few minutes, place all the nuggets in the oil.
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until both sides are crispy and browned to your desired look.
- This is a versatile dish. I have even used it as an appetizer, just doubled the recipe. What makes this meal complete is a nice selection of sauces. My favorites are BBQ and honey mustard. I think some people would probably enjoy ranch too...
- You can use other types of oils, but it will affect the health-o-meter! :)