You can avoid paying for overpriced Italian sausage AND avoid dealing with casings, by simply buying your own ground pork and mixing your own spices. Not to mention this will make your sausage have a much sharper flavor.
You will notice my recipe does not have any paprika. My husband is allergic to paprika so I never use it. Which is actually why I endeavored down this road of homemade Italian sausage seasoning. What I discovered was removing the paprika and increasing the red hot pepper flakes by just a tad, actually had a zestier, more flavorful result.
It’s super easy to follow this hot italian sausage recipe!
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly cracked black
- 3/4 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes,
- or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/8 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once mixed, add to ground pork in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir and combine with your hands until the seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Use sausage as desired!